TVG–Drug and Alcohol Project Peer Worker (Part-Time)
Employer: Traveller Visibility Group (TVG)
TVG is a Traveller led Cork based organisation which works with Travellers and settled people to facilitate community development work for the Traveller community. The TVG consists of a health project, a drugs and alcohol support project, community employment scheme placements and also provides crèche facilities to the community. It works on a group work and one to one basis with the community.
This is a 14hr part time position. The successful candidate will form part of TVG Traveller Support Project on Drugs and Alcohol programme and work closely alongside the Health Team programme and other projects with TVG. These programmes set out to promote, develop and deliver initiatives to the Traveller community locally. This position might suit a member of the Traveller community who has gone through addiction treatment and recovery themselves or who has knowledge of addiction and recovery in their family.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Support the Traveller Support Project on Drugs and Alcohol in maintaining a safe and caring approach when working with people
- Work with both the TVG Traveller Support Project on Drugs and Alcohol and with the TVG Health team to develop programmes that support Travellers to have improved outcomes i.e. through outreach, group work activities, one to one activities , workshops etc.
- Use the TVG policies, to make sure you have clear boundaries and understand and maintain confidentiality when linking with Community members
- Work with local service providers, projects, networks, groups, clinics etc building a strong working relationship between the Traveller community and organisations and the public health services for addiction, substance abuse and mental health.
- Develop knowledge of Traveller issues through regular contact with the Community, through training and research and through networking with relevant agencies and community groups.
- Support the development of group work, as appropriate alongside other TVG team members.
- Talk to Community members about addiction and related issues, and raise awareness of these issues as appropriate.
- Take part in relevant training.
- Work alongside the TVG Traveller Support Project on Drugs and Alcohol. Participate in regular supervision with the Co-Directors.
- Carry out any other duties that may be given to you by the TVG Co-Directors and TVG Management Committee
If possible, candidates should:
- Be able to show compassion, dignity and respect towards people who come to the project, and when on outreach and all times respect the confidentiality of all service users and the strict confidentiality policy in TVG.
- Have a strong interest in building your knowledge and understanding of addiction, recovery and health related issues
- Be motivated to work in the area of addiction, recovery and community work
- Have strong knowledge of the issues that Travellers experience
- Have a strong interest in human rights
- Have a positive attitude and a willingness to develop communication skills
- Be willing to work as part of the TVG team, and on your own initiative as appropriate
- Be willing to attend meetings as appropriate
- Be reliable and flexible
Values and Personal Attributes
- Commitment to equality and social justice
- Fun, energetic and enthusiastic
- Respectful and fair
- Accountable, trustworthy and honest
Terms of Employment:
Reporting to : Co-Directors of TVG
Hours of work : 14 hours per week – will include mornings and afternoons. A level of flexibility is required as some evening and weekend work may apply.
Salary : The salary for this post is €39,908 pro rata
Type of Contract : 12 months fixed term
To Apply : Please email a copy of your up to date CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Eileen O’Shea on 0871301756 for any queries on application.
Closing date for application : 5pm, Friday, 5th of March 2021.
TVG Development Worker (17.5 Hours)
Job Description & Specification
Employer: Traveller Visibility Group (TVG)
The TVG is a Traveller led Cork based organisation working for the human rights and equality of Travellers in Cork.
TVGs work consists of community development and anti-racism work, community health care, drugs and alcohol support work, community employment. We also provide crèche facilities to the community. We use both group work and on a one to one basis.
This is a 17.5 hour part time post and is a job share with another part time worker. The post is part of the TVG Traveller Health Programme which promotes, develops and delivers community development initiatives with Travellers in Cork with a particular focus on young Travellers.
- Using the determinants of health develop initiatives and projects that seek to improve health outcomes of Travellers in Cork.
- Establish and support group work projects with Traveller men, women and young people.
- Support Travellers to access training by liaising with local and relevant agencies i.e. Youth Services, Traveller Employability Service, Cork City Council, ETB, NTRIS projects, community training centres and the Traveller Interagency Group.
- Network with local, regional and national Traveller organisations including: Cork Traveller Women’s Network, Travellers North Cork, West Cork Travellers, East Cork Traveller Project, Kerry Travellers, STHN, Pavee Point, Traveller Women’s Forum and the Irish Traveller Movement and the National Traveller Mental Health Network.
- Promote awareness, interest and knowledge of Traveller Community concerns through regular contact and networking with other relevant agencies.
- Work to improve the accommodation situation for Travellers by supporting Traveller representation on the Local Traveller Consultative Committee; advocating on the accommodation needs of Travellers locally; representing the project on the Regional Traveller Accommodation Working Group; and supporting the project to keep up to date with national developments in Traveller accommodation work.
- Work closely with TVG staff to achieve our mission and strategic plan goals through teamwork with TVG’s health team including Men’s Development Worker and the Traveller Community Health Workers; as well as with other projects in the TVG including the Drugs and Alcohol Project, NTRIS STAR project, the Goras Crèche and the Community Employment Placements.
- Regularly keep HSE-South informed through regular meetings and monthly written work reports of the progress of development work.
- Report to and work closely with the TVG Health Coordinator and Co-Directors.
- Carry out any other duties that may be assigned to you by the TVG Co-Directors and TVG Board of Management.
To be considered for this role you need to demonstrate the following
- A minimum of 3 years experience working in community development or a related area
- Experience and skills in group work
- An understanding of and commitment to anti-racism and equality
- Understanding of issues affecting Travellers including the determinants of health
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience negotiating and communicating with agencies
- Ability to manage your time and competing priorities effectively
It is also desirable that you
- Have a third level qualification in Youth and Community Work or related field
- Direct or lived experience as a Traveller
- Direct or lived working with the Traveller Community
- Have knowledge of local community structures and accessing services
- Strong IT and digital skills
- Experience preparing reports and funding proposals
Terms of Employment:
- 17.5 hours per week
- Appointment to post is on a 1 year fixed term contract initially
- Probationary period 6 months
- The successful candidate is subject to Garda Vetting Procedures and required to submit 2 referees, one from a previous employer and one from a relevant professional peer.
To Apply: Please send CV and cover letter outlining suitability for post to email@example.com and contact Eileen O’Shea on 0871301756 if you have any queries about the application
Closing date for applications is 15th March at 5pm.